Monday, August 26, 2013

Homeschool 2013-2014



I am running a little behind on my Fort Michilimackinac posts, but will update part 3 of 4 hopefully sometime this week.  As you know, prepping for homeschool takes time and dedication.

We are doing something completely different this year now going into our third year as homeschoolers.  As a former early childhood teacher, I was so used to rigid routines and lesson plans I had to learn to break myself of that.  It literally took two years for me to learn to be flexible in our homeschool.  We utilized A Beka curriculum for two years until I realized it wasn't working anymore.  Too rigid for sure and not flexible enough.  I was ready for something multi-age which allows flexibility. 

Don't get me wrong, I love A Beka and their program, but I think it's well suited for one homeschooled child rather than 3.

What am I doing this year?  I chose to go the more literary route with the girls since they adore reading.  I found Ambleside Online and fell in love with the curriculum (Which is free to use) as it's the Charlotte Mason approach and concept.  The only costs were the costs of some of the suggested books, etc.  I mixed it up with traditional books, Kindle, and online format.  Some of them were free!

It covers History, Science, Literature, Copywork, etc.  For math we are using www.ixl.com. It's $99 for two kids for the entire year.  Awesome!  www.internet4classrooms.com has a free language arts program.  I also found online Latin, Art, and spelling!  I literally saved $300-400 this year as this was what I was paying the last two years for A Beka (used).

Our morning schedule went very well.  The girls are excited and ready to learn.  Kelly is loving that it requires a lot of reading time. I am hoping it sticks.

I also will be utilizing Christian Cottage Unit Studies when I can and may utilize it to the fullest next year.

On Wednesdays the girls will be taking Homeschool classes at Homeschool Connections again in the Farmington Hills location.  Kelly will be taking a science LEGO class as well as a literature class.  Lyssa will be taking a fun with numbers and fun with books class.  Should be fun.

Little Bethany will be starting preschool on September 5th, which is parent day.  She will be going to Ward Preschool in Northville Tuesday and Thursday mornings 9-11:30 am.  The coolest part of this whole thing is I get to stay and homeschool Kelly and Lyssa in the church lobby while Bethany is in class.  No time wasted.  Super pumped about that!

Our goal this year is to get our work done all morning and be finished by lunchtime.  If there was something we couldn't finish, it will go into their work trays so they can finish later.  That worked out nicely last year too.

What curriculum will you be using this year?  The same or trying something different?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Three Blessings

My Three Blessings
Photo by Emily Haapala Photography

.





Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
made by Leelou
Powered by Blogger.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved