Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Time to Revamp our Homeschool



Well, yet again it has been quite a while since I have posted here on my personal homeschooling blog.  It's hard keeping a balance sometimes and some days more than others.

I have hit a "home educators" wall so to speak.  This past week (on our family northern adventures trip) I had a mommy meltdown. I almost gave up on our homeschooling completely.  The enemy just kept whispering things to me that made me feel defeated like: "I'm failing my kids" or "I am better off sending them to school." 

It's all been an issue of behaviors due to age gaps of 9,6, and 3.  A Beka curriculum was perfect for us last year, but now with two out of three using the curriculum it's been quite hairy.  As a former early childhood teacher I thrive on schedules and lesson plans.  Yeah, this isn't working in our homeschool.  There is definite routines and plans in our homeschool, but I need to revamp and really pray and search out another alternative that will work for my girls.



In my situation it was suggested to try multi-age unit studies.  I have been searching high and low which method would work for us.  I just need a supernatural peace and strength to not give up.  I know that the Lord has called me into this so he will carry us through.  I have added a Biblical character training to the mix.  Behavior struggles have surfaced I believe because A Beka is not really working for us or them for that matter.  I guess I stuck with it because I am familiar with it.  I used it in the private school system.  Doesn't really seem to work for homeschooling, at least our homeschool anyway.

I personally need to learn how to let go of all of those rigid lesson plans as it's all I know being a former early childhood educator.  Have a plan yes, but being flexible, yeah that's a struggle.  I'm trusting that the Lord will bring me to a point that I can just relax.  This I do not know how to do.

Hopefully, I can post once a week like I originally intended.  This is a place for me to just really lay out my feelings and seek encouragement etc.

Many Blessings!

Lindsey Clair
Blessed to be a wife and mom

Images by www.mycutegraphics.com

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are struggling - praying that you will find the correct path for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, do I understand! I have four- 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 7, and almost 5. We tried Abeka early on and while I LOVE Abeka (I grew up on Abeka)- it did NOT work for us! I've blogged about my struggles/changes, but my recent homeschool related post is: http://www.slowlynatural.com/2012/10/homeschool-update.html

    For us, we do Mystery of History and Apologia Science together. That is a HUGE hit! I've recently switched my oldest daughter to Switched-On Schoolhouse for English and hope to do it for Math next year, too. Why? Because it's something she CAN do on her own. I'm right there to help if she stumbles or doesn't "get it" and I can fix the grading system to reflect OUR preference. It's an adjustment- since it's a new way of learning and new style- but it'll be worth it once she adjusts and I'm not tied into those two subjects for her. The plan, then, would be to start every child with Math and English at 3rd grade using SOS. It could very well be the BEST thing to happen to me! LOL We don't use formal English lessons until 3rd/4th grade anyway (don't faint!) and for writing we do a LOT of copywork!

    Hope you figure out your journey, but take it from me, sometimes less IS more and it IS okay to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsey! First time visiting your blog from the group on Facebook - I have been having a similar dilemma in our homeschool. I have actually tried three different "multi-age" curriculum over the past two years, and as of earlier this month, our third choice was still not working for us. I have a 6th grader who moves REALLY fast through her work and reads at high school level already, a 4th grader who reads well, but has a very short attention span for everything. I also started working with my 5-year-old on the Kindergarten track as well this year, and she had her own "spin" on the same curriculum but her work was totally different and required even more separate time with her.

    I had looked into Trail Guide to Learning's Paths of Exploration over the summer but decided not to try it only because I didn't hear enough feedback online from others using it. But about two weeks ago when I was ready to give up on choice #3, I decided to go for it since you can download one unit at a time online. So far it is going WONDERFULLY! Even though the older girls are doing the same unit at the same time (which includes one joint discussion per lesson per day), each girl has her own notebook (provided by the curriculum) that is grade-specific and breaks down the day's lesson for you into work that is more age-appropriate. My eldest is also doing the optional reading at the same time, since she reads so quickly. At the same time, my youngest is doing some reading, phonics pages, and math (I use MathUSee for all three, they love it), and I let her join in on the read-aloud I do with the older girls from Paths of Exploration and she can even do some of the fun geography & art at a very basic level along with the older girls. The feedback from the girls is that they LOVE the new program, and my load is much less complex in working with the three of them each day.

    In case you want to check it out, the curriculum is at: http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/learning_series/.

    Will be praying for you that God gives you wisdom in moving forward with changes that will meet the needs of your family!
    Renee from NextGen Homeschool, http://nextgenhomeschool.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is so cute! Love the little people up top along with the colors! As for homeschooling, we have been doing it for 10 years now and yes, I do have my days where I question what I am doing and if we are succeeding. However, I know it is what God has called us to do and you are right. He will see you through this! The ages of my kids we are homeschooling now is 6,8 and 15. I have gone with a curriculum I can use with all three, just on their levels. Basically the difference between the 3 is their math and language arts levels. Other than that, we do everything together. You can do this! I will be praying for you and your family in your journey! Blessings! Looking forward to seeing what God has planned in your homeschooling! Joy from www.ajourneyofjoy.com

    ReplyDelete

My Three Blessings

My Three Blessings
Photo by Emily Haapala Photography

.





Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
made by Leelou
Powered by Blogger.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved