Monday, November 12, 2012

The Gift of Giving



As second year homeschoolers, I have decided on picking a cause or program that my whole family can participate in.  I figured this could be an annual thing.  I am thinking 1-2 a year to teach the girls about giving and helping others in need especially, this time of year.

This year, a fellow homeschooling mom is the coordinator for Operation Christmas Child at a local church.  We will be chipping in this Friday.  It's a great way for the girls to learn about the gift of giving to others in need.  I want them to really recognize the need for these types of programs and causes because it is very easy for children to become self-centered.  The only way they can possibly know, is if we teach them and they experience it firsthand.

Out of curiosity, what kind of programs or causes do you and your family participate in around Thanksgiving and Christmas?  Soup kitchens? Money donations? Nursing home visits?  Next year, I am thinking of rounding up a few homeschooling families that would be interested in going into nursing homes and singing Christmas songs and passing out homemade Christmas cards.  I remember doing this when I was younger and the smiles and love that went around was priceless. 

I also see this as an opportunity for character training.  Kids need this now more than ever this day and age.  I worry about the future generation, but I think as homeschoolers we have something solid building faith and hope in our childrens' future.  God is so good.

Many Blessings!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Three Blessings

My Three Blessings
Photo by Emily Haapala Photography

.





Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
made by Leelou
Powered by Blogger.
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved